Keeping a carpet clean isn’t an easy task. It’s easy to track in dirt or struggle with stains. However, carpet can last for years with the right care. To get the most from a carpet, use these tips to keep it clean.
1. Get Rid of Dirt
Start by vacuuming on a regular basis. Ensure that the vacuum is set at the right height. If the roller brush is set too blows it can damage the carpet. If it’s too high, it won’t pick up dirt. To get the right height, start at the highest setting and gradually lower it until there is resistance. This is the optimal height.
Other vacuuming tips to follow:
* Vacuum often- to protect the carpet, vacuum any high traffic areas such as entrances twice a week. Vacuum the rest of the carpet at least once weekly. This will help prevent dirt buildup.
* Start with a clean bag- a dirty vacuum bag or filter will reduce the vacuum’s suction power. Replace or wash the filters every 3 months or more often if needed. Replace the bag on the vacuum when its approximately 3/4ths full for best results.
* Vacuum at the right speed- too fast and the vacuum won’t get the dirt. Make slow passes over the carpet, and do a double pass on high traffic areas. This strategy is more effective to remove ground-up dirt.
2. Steam Clean the Carpet
Although vacuuming is one of the best strategies to keep a carpet clean, a deep clean is a good idea periodically. It’s possible to rent or purchase a steam clean machine and do this chore without needing a professional. The purchased models tend to be smaller and are better for small areas. Consider renting a larger model for large areas of carpeting. When steam cleaning, use these tips.
* Clean before diet is apparent- it’s a good idea to clean a carpet when it stays to look dull. If waiting longer than that cleaning will be difficult and take more time. Cleaning frequency largely depends on the traffic, but at least once a year and likely more often. .
* Vacuum well before and after cleaning- when it comes to carpet cleaning maintenance, cleaning strategically is important. Vacuum the carpet before cleaning to remove large particles of dirt. Vacuum after cleaning to remove any dirt that wicks to the surface.
* Pretreat stains- mix a small amount of detergent with hot water and use a spray bottle to mist the solution on any stained areas. Let this solution sit in place for about 10 minutes before steam cleaning.
* Remove furniture before cleaning- although it will take more time to move furniture, this step will also help to make the carpet cleaner.
* Let the carpet dry thoroughly- avoid overeating the carpet and use a few drying passes to remove as much moisture as possible. Since a wet carpet is a good environment for mold and mildew growth, use a fan to speed up the drying process. A dehumidifier may also help to dry the carpet faster.
3. Clean Future Stains Promptly
When it comes to keeping the career looking nice for years to come, removing any stains quickly is a good idea. If a stain is addressed immediately, there’s a greater likelihood that it can be removed. The longer that its allowed to sit, the harder it will be to remove. Use these tips to get rid of stains.
* Avoid scooping or digging in carpet- these two strategies can actually work the stain deeper into the rug. Instead, use a spoon to carefully scrape the food into a towel and then treat the stain.
* Start with water- many people are surprised to learn that most stains can be removed with plain water. Press a clean cloth over the stain to absorb it. Then use a damp towel to move water into the stain and blot until it’s gone. Avoid rubbing or scrubbing rhe spot as this will damage the fibers of the carpet. This process may need to be repeated several times so be patient.
* Consider vinegar or club soda- for tough stains where water isn’t working, mix white vinegar and water in equal parts or club soda and water. If this doesn’t work either, then use a commercial product. However, if using a commercial product, test it on a small area of carpet to make sure it won’t discolor the carpet.
Enjoy a Clean Carpet
Finally, these steps and tips can be used to always have a clean carpet. Make sure to have a good vacuum handy and follow these tips for good carpet maintenance.
If you preferred to find a reliable carpet cleaning company in Singapore to clean your carpet instead, you can try these cleaning companies:
Absolute Carpet Cleaning Pte Ltd
Auntie Carpet Cleaning Pte Ltd
Singapore Carpet Cleaning
Dry Carpet Cleaning Pte Ltd